Alaska man found guilty of local woman's murder

As the Alaska courtroom erupted in sobs and cries of outrage on Oct. 29, Kelly Wik held up a picture of her murdered daughter and quietly thanked the jury that convicted the man who shot the 18-year-old Eagle Point High School graduate to death in 2007.

Wik, of Trail, flew to Anchorage for the three-week trial, during which she listened to the 9-1-1 tape that recorded Jennifer Olson's final moments.

"I literally heard her die on the phone," Wik said. "It was the most awful thing I've ever heard."

Olson and her fiance, Kori Johnson, traveled to Alaska in 2007 looking for adventure, but found tragedy instead after a then-22-year-old Nicholas Showers-Glover walked into their east Anchorage duplex and opened fire as the couple lay in bed.

Showers-Glover could spend the rest of his life in prison after the jury convicted him on first-degree murder and assault charges.

"It can't bring Jennifer back, but I am glad he will not walk free again," Wik said.

Olson died at an Anchorage hospital on March 2, 2007. Johnson, who was shot in the arm and leg, has recovered from his injuries.

It is not clear what prompted the murder, Wik said.

"He never gave a reason during the trial," she added. "When he took the stand, he never said why."

The couple shared the duplex with Showers-Glover and his girlfriend. Before the murder, Showers-Glover had no criminal record. His mother is a middle-school counselor, minister and police chaplain.

After the jury entered the guilty verdict, Showers-Glover's family broke out in loud sobs, forcing bailiffs to escort them from the courtroom.

Showers-Glover also had to be restrained when he jumped to his feet and began swearing at the judge.

"I couldn't hear a word of what was said and I was right there," Wik said. "I was too focused on holding up my daughter's picture and thanking the jury."

The murder robbed Wik of a daughter and a grandchild, as Olson learned she was pregnant with Johnson's baby days before the shooting.

"She had bought a plane ticket to Southern Oregon to visit friends and family," Wik said.

Johnson, who grew up in Southern Oregon and now lives in the Philippines, will visit the area within the next few weeks, Wik said.

The attorney for Showers-Glover told the Juneau Empire newspaper that he plans to appeal the verdict.

Reach reporter Chris Conrad at 776-4471; or e-mail

Share This Story