Fire set on restroom roof

Ashland Fire and Rescue is investigating a fire officials believe was intentionally set on the roof of a bathroom on Winburn Way.

At 6:04 on Wednesday morning, Ashland Police and AFR responded to the public rest room next to the Community Development building between Winburn Way and Calle Guanajuato. The fire, which was ignited by newspaper on the roof of the building, had already extinguished itself.

A neighbor saw the fire from a nearby window and called 911 to report it.

AFR personnel "found that an unknown person(s) set a small fire on the roof of the rest room using newspapers," according to police reports.

Shawn Beranaugh, a fire investigator with AFR, confirmed they are treating the incident as arson. He said there was no "natural heating" that could have occurred to cause the fire. If the fire had occurred inside the bathroom, on a colder evening, AFR might assume the fire was started to keep someone warm inside the bathroom. Because it occurred on the roof, they suspect it was intentionally set. They have no suspects so far.

"A lot of times we will ask people in the neighborhood if the saw anything," he said. "Someone might not have seen the fire, but they might have seen a person of interest in the area. Maybe they even saw someone carrying a newspaper."

Beranaugh said the fire burned through the membrane covering of the roof. Police reports indicated the fire caused $750 in damage to the roof.

Staff writer can be reached at 482-3456 x. 226 or .

Share This Story