Fire sparked when fuel spills from gas tank destroys Phoenix repair shop

A fire has gutted Ken's Auto in Phoenix.

The fire at the automotive repair business at 101 N. Main St., was reported at about 11:30 a.m.

Owner Ken Peck said he was taking a gas tank out of a car and some fuel spilled out onto a work light. The light bulb shattered and the fuel ignited.

"This was so quick I couldn't do anything about it," Peck said, noting that smoke quickly filled the building.

He ran out to a nearby barbershop to ask them to call 911.

Jason Sand at Al's Sharpening Service across the street stepped out the find flames shooting from Ken's garage door.

Jackson County Fire District No. 5 has a station less than a block away and arrived within moments to find flames leaping out of the building.

Crews from District 5 and Medford Fire-Rescue had the fire beaten back in less than 10 minutes, but the building was gutted, fire officials said. Firefighter kept the flames from spreading to nearby buildings.

No one was injured in the blaze. The car being repaired was totally destroyed, Peck said.

Main Street is closed between First and Second streets and southbound traffic is being rerouted into neighborhoods behind the damaged building.

— Ryan Pfeil

Share This Story