Francis Lane fire sends flames leaping from propane tank

A Thanksgiving night fire outside an Ashland house ignited a propane tank and a row of junipers, sending flames 20 feet high before they were quickly quelled by firefighters.

No one was hurt in the 11:37 p.m. fire in the 700 block of Frances Lane, which caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the residence, fence, carport and shed, according to Ashland Fire & Rescue.

The fire appeared to have begun in the vicinity of plastic recycling bins, which caught fire, firefighters said. The hot flames from the burning plastic also burned wood siding on the house before igniting the barbecue's propane tank and an adjacent row of juniper bushes, firefighters said.

Firefighters from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 also responded.

No cause was determined, but the fire was not considered suspicious, Battalion Chief Dana Sallee said.

— Mark Freeman

Share This Story