Hot briquettes started South Mountain Ave. fire

Hot charcoal briquettes ignited a fire that burned a shed and 100-foot pine tree on South Mountain Avenue Tuesday night, Ashland Fire & Rescue officials said Wednesday.

Firefighters controlled the fire at 10:27 p.m. Tuesday, about 10 minutes after a resident in an apartment complex at 132 S. Mountain Ave. called 9-1-1 to report that a fire had engulfed a shed and tree in her yard, said Ashland Fire Capt. Kelly Burns.

"We try to work really fast on these fires that are involving trees that are so close to buildings," he said.

Investigators believe someone living in an apartment complex on Lincoln Street, near where the fire started, dumped the hot briquettes near the shed at 132 S. Mountain Ave.

Detectives are working to identify a suspect in the case, Burns said.

The fire burned a 10- by 20-foot area and threatened the apartment triplex at 132 S. Mountain Ave., he said.

About $4,000 worth of sporting equipment that was in the shed was destroyed in the fire, Burns said.

Officials do not believe Tuesday's fire is related to other small grass fires that have occurred on Mountain Avenue this summer, he said.

Share This Story