FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Football fans take note — umbrellas are out for the big game on Sunday.
For that matter, so are fireworks, beach balls and flying discs.
Other items prohibited in Sun Life Stadium on Super Bowl Sunday included backpacks, strollers, laser pointers and coolers, according to information released Monday. Bottles and cans were on the banned list, as were camcorders, pepper spray, horns, poles and sticks.
"The message is, for the fans, please be patient with us," Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti said. "We're just looking out for your safety. Because as we've heard before, we have to be successful 100 percent of the time, the bad guys only have to get lucky once."
Camera and binocular cases also won't be allowed in the stadium.
"We don't allow those in for the reason that they're hard to screen," NFL vice president of security Milt Ahlerich said. "We need to be sure there's nothing being brought in in these things. So they will be prohibited at the gates."
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Oakland A's sent the transaction wire buzzing Monday, trading infielder Aaron Miles and a player to be named to the Cincinnati Reds and signing free-agent outfielder Gabe Gross as part of a flurry of moves.
Miles, who had been acquired from the Cubs on Dec. 3, was shipped to Cincinnati in exchange for infielder Adam Rosales and outfielder Willy Taveras, the latter of whom immediately was designated for assignment.
The A's also claimed minor league infielder Steve Tolleson off waivers from the Minnesota Twins.
Rosales, 26, was the key player for the A's in the Reds trade, as the move with Taveras indicated. Taveras wasn't the only one removed from the A's 40-man roster; left-handed pitcher Dana Eveland and infielder Gregorio Petit also were designated for assignment.
The A's had been searching for a backup infielder even after acquiring Miles, an indication the seven-year veteran may never have been in the team's plans. Miles, who has been traded four times in his career, said he's looking forward to playing for Reds manager Dusty Baker.
SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco Giants have agreed to terms on minor league contracts with right-hander Byung-Hyun Kim and lefty Horacio Ramirez, and both received non-roster invites to spring training.
The 31-year-old Kim hasn't pitched in the majors since spending 2007 with Colorado, Arizona and Florida. He owns a career record of 54-60 with a 4.42 ERA in nine big league seasons.
While with Arizona, Kim gave up the tying home runs in Games 4 and 5 of 2001 World Series against the New York Yankees and the winning drive in Game 4 to Derek Jeter. The Diamondbacks won in seven games.
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Jon Miller, who has spent parts of five decades as the voice of five major league baseball teams, was selected Monday as the 2010 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.
A native of San Francisco, Miller has called games for the Giants, Baltimore, Boston, Texas and Oakland, and has been the voice of ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball telecasts for 20 years. He was on vacation in South America when he received the call from the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
"I told my wife I'll never forget Cartagena, Colombia," said Miller, who joins former Giants broadcasters Lon Simmons and Russ Hodges as winners of the award. "The first thing I thought of was Lon Simmons and Russ Hodges, who taught me the game as a kid growing up. It really is kind of astounding to me because Russ and Lon were larger-than-life people to me. My idols."
Miller, who will be honored during Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in July, began his broadcasting career in the Bay Area in 1974, landing a job as the play-by-play man for the Oakland A's.
DENVER — Spending the last 91/2; seasons in Baltimore and watching the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox annually battle for playoff berths left Melvin Mora with one big wish in free agency.
"The most important thing for Melvin, being that he's 38 years old and has been playing on a sub-.500 team for many, many years, was to get to the postseason," Mora's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, said Monday.
Mora hasn't been to the playoffs since he was a 27-year-old rookie with the New York Mets in 1999. A year later, he was shipped to Baltimore at the trade deadline.
"At Melvin's age and where he's at in his career, he really had me focus on the teams that we thought had the best chance of getting into the playoffs," Goldschmidt said.
NEW YORK — Seventeen years after their first fight, Bernard Hopkins will meet Roy Jones Jr. in a rematch in Las Vegas.
The fight is scheduled for April 3 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center and will be broadcast on pay-per-view.
"A rematch with Roy has been in the back of my mind for a long time and it's finally going to happen," Hopkins said in Monday's release announcing the bout. "I have accomplished a lot in my career since that night in Washington, D.C., in 1993, and I am going to end this thing between me and Roy once and for all."
The 45-year-old Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 KOs) is a former middleweight and light heavyweight champion. He defeated Enrique Ornelas by unanimous decision in a light heavyweight bout in Philadelphia in December.
The 41-year-old Jones (54-6, 40 KOs) is coming off a loss to Australian Danny Green in the first round, also in December.
On May 22, 1993, in Washington, D.C., Hopkins lost an unanimous decision to Jones for the vacant IBF middleweight crown.
NEW YORK — The American athletes at the Winter Olympics will be ambassadors for the sporty style synonymous with American fashion.
The Ralph Lauren uniforms created for the opening ceremony and revealed Tuesday include a navy puffer jacket with red stripes, a chunky white turtleneck, white pants and an alpine-style hat — with moose, evergreens and American flags.
"I really hope the outfits are going to keep us warm — it's what I'm wearing," said David Lauren, the company's senior vice president of advertising, marketing and communications, who'll be making the trip to Vancouver.
The U.S. Olympic Committee reviewed designs at all phases, including inspiration boards and sketches. Final outfits are now being distributed to athletes.
Lauren said his favorite part of the outfit is the American flag on the back of the jacket.
NEWARK, N.J. — New Jersey Devils defenseman Paul Martin will not play for the United States in the Vancouver Olympics because of a slow-healing broken left forearm.
A disappointed Martin announced Monday that he was withdrawing his name from the U.S. team.
The defenseman was injured on Oct. 24 in a game at Pittsburgh when he was hit by Bill Guerin's shot. Martin had a setback in his recovery in December when surgery had to be done because the fracture didn't heal at the rate doctors wanted.
Martin skated on his own last week and was told by doctors on Monday that he would have to wear his cast another two weeks.
"It is healing properly, it's just not to the point where the doctor wants to see it," Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.
The United States will play its first Olympic game against Switzerland on Feb. 16, which means Martin wouldn't have been able to play before the Games started.
ROME — Cyclist Danilo Di Luca was hit with the second doping suspension of his career Monday, a two-year ban for using a blood-boosting drug at last year's Giro d'Italia.
The Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping court imposed the ban after Di Luca tested positive for CERA following two stages of the 2009 race. CONI's anti-doping prosecutor had sought a three-year ban.
"I've always said, and I repeat, that I have never taken that substance," Di Luca said.
Di Luca was also fined $400,000 and will have to pay an additional $3,000 to cover testing costs. The ban expires July 21, 2011.
— The Associated Press
Di Luca's lawyer Enrico De Toni said the cyclist would again appeal to the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport, adding that they have issues with the method and procedure of the tests.
The 34-year-old Di Luca said he would continue racing no matter the final outcome of the case.
"I'm still capable of racing and obtaining results like I've had up to this point," he said.
Di Luca finished second overall in the Giro behind Denis Menchov. The ban could prompt organizers to rearrange the final standings, moving Franco Pellizotti up to second and Carlos Sastre to third.