No injuries in Thanksgiving night fire

A Thanksgiving night fire outside an Ashland house ignited a propane tank and a row of junipers, sending flames 20 feet high before they were quickly quelled by firefighters.

No one was hurt in the 11:37 p.m. fire on the 700 block of Frances Lane, which caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the residence, fence, carport and shed, according to Ashland Fire & Rescue.

The fire appeared to have begun along the side of the residence and in the vicinity of plastic recycling bins, which caught fire, firefighters said. The hot flames from the burning plastic also burned wood siding on the house before igniting the barbecue's propane tank and the adjacent row of juniper bushes, firefighters said.

The propane tank did not explode, but it fed fuel to the already hot and crackling fire, firefighters said.

"The propane tank and the junipers made for quite a lot of noise and visuals," Ashland fire Battalion Chief Dana Sallee said. "The flames were 15 to 20 feet high when I got there."

Firefighters were able to knock down the flames quickly, preventing the fire from spreading to the one-story residence, Sallee said. Some minor smoke damage was reported inside the house, he said.

The fire was reported by a neighbor who saw the flames, Sallee said. The residents were home at the time and escaped on their own without any injuries, he said.

While investigators were able to trace the fire's origin to the area around the recycle bins, no exact location or cause was determined, Sallee said.

"We believe it to be accidental," he said. "We don't think it's suspicious."

Firefighters from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 also responded. In all, five engines and one ambulance responded to the fire.

Reach Mail Tribune reporter Mark Freeman at 541-776-4470, or email at

Share This Story