Raiders pull away in OT, avoid upset loss to Evergreen State

For most of Friday night's game Kyle Tedder's aim was a little off.

Good thing for the Raiders his timing was perfect.

Southern Oregon's freshman guard shook off a rough shooting night to hit all 10 of his free throw attempts in overtime as the Raiders used a 9-2 run to finally put away scrappy Evergreen State, 81-74, Friday at McNeal Pavilion.

Tedder, usually one of the Raiders' most consistent shooters, scored eight points on 2 of 13 shooting in regulation, but redeemed himself by hitting eight free throws in the final 32 seconds of OT to help Southern avoid what would have been a costly Cascade Conference loss to the scrappy but shorthanded Geoducks.

"It was a big win because we didn't play probably well enough to win," Southern Oregon head coach Brian McDermott said. "Those are big wins when that happens, because we did not play our best basketball, or even close to it. But if we play like that (tonight) we'll get beat by 30."

The Raiders (11-6, 4-3 Cascade) tonight host Northwest (12-3, 4-2), which sits a half-game ahead of SOU in the league standings.

Tedder and junior forward Jordan Highland led the Raiders with 18 points apiece, with Highland adding 10 rebounds and senior forward Kellen Hawley nine points and 10 boards.

Tedder was 12-for-12 from the charity stripe overall.

Senior guard Johnny Sarysz hit 4 of 6 from long range on his way to 18 points and freshman guard Mikey Hope hit 11 of 16 free throws and had 19 points for the Geoducks (5-11, 2-4), who suffered their third straight loss.

The Raiders had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation, but Tedder's driving layup bounced off the front of the rim and Dex Daum's rebound follow missed badly.

In overtime, the Raiders scored the first four points, including a 3 by Daum, to take a 66-62 lead before Evergreen rallied to go up 67-66 on a Josh Troyer jumper with 2:46 to go.

The Raiders responded with a 6-0 run capped by Hawley's rebound put-back with 1:10 to go, and the Geoducks were never closer than three points again.

"Going into OT, we were like, 'All right, this is the situation, now let's just go get it,'" Highland said. "This is really big because this is our first win in a close game. It's a big momentum-builder."

Evergreen State still had life when SOU turned the ball over with about a minute to go, but Patrick Lewis missed a breakaway layup that would have cut the lead to one, and the Raiders corralled the rebound.

The foul-plagued game — 51 were called — featured 75 free throw attempts. The Raiders hit 28 of 43 and Evergreen State was 24-for-32. With only eight players suited up, it appeared as though the Geoducks would be forced to play with just four players after Troyer fouled out with 21 seconds to go.

"I don't have anybody else," Evergreen State head coach Arvin Mosley Jr. shouted, before injured forward Michael Brumsey, who's nursing a sore ankle, tapped him on the shoulder and said he could play.

A rim-rattling breakaway dunk by Highland followed by a charge taken by Hawley gave the Raiders a sudden shot of momentum early in the second half, but they still trailed 37-35, and it was 41-35 Evergreen after a Hope free throw with 13:08 to go.

A layup by Armani Jackson, who finished with seven points, kicked off a 12-2 rally that gave the Raiders their first lead of the second half. Tedder's 3, his second in the Raiders' two-minute spurt, put SOU on top, 47-43.

"They just kept bringing it to us, bringing it to us, and you know, we just didn't have a lot of depth," Mosley Jr. said. "We weren't able to hang on down the stretch, but it was a fun game to be a part of."

The Geoducks were in great position to steal the game after Larry Green's jumper gave them a four-point lead with three minutes to go, but the Raiders scored the next five points — all at the free throw line.

With the clock winding down and Evergreen State down 62-61, Hope was fouled on a pull-up jumper with 10 seconds to go, giving him a chance to give the Geoducks their first lead of the last two minutes. He missed the first free throw and made the second to tie the game at 62. It was Hope's second free throw miss in the final minute of regulation.

Behind strong starts by Highland and Wolfer — they combined for 20 points on 9-for-12 shooting in the first half — the Raiders used a 10-2 run to turn a one-point deficit into an 18-11 lead. A jumper by Wolfer extended the lead to 23-15, but the Raiders cooled off considerably after that.

Evergreen clamped down on defense to get back in the game, holding the Raiders to two points over the next eight minutes. The Geoducks weren't lighting it up either, but Ramone Johnson's free throw gave them a 28-25 lead with 3:47 to go in the first half.

Evergreen led 33-31 at the break after holding SOU to 41-percent shooting (14-for-34), including 1-for-10 on 3s.

"They went zone, and when they went zone we just got a little bit impatient and started firing away with the 3s," McDermott said.

"We went way too fast on offense in the halfcourt. We got back to going inside in the second half, but we just didn't do a very good job in the first half."

Share This Story