Smoking in bed causes Ashland condo fire

A cigarette left on a bed caused a fire in a Mountain Meadows condo on Friday afternoon, fire officials said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was confined to the bed but had filled the unoccupied condo with smoke. No one was injured.

A smoke detector alerted Mountain Meadows maintenance workers to the fire and they called Ashland Fire & Rescue at about 2:45 p.m., according to authorities.

The fire cause more than $1,000 in damage to the condo, fire officials said.

The south Ashland condo had a fire sprinkler system, but the fire wasn't big enough to activate it, according to a release.

Ashland Fire & Rescue used the incident to remind locals that smoking in bed can have deadly results.

"According to the National Fire Protection Association, 780 people died in fires caused by smoking materials in 2006," the release said. "One out of every four fatal victims of these fires is not the smoke whose cigarette started the fire."

Share This Story