Two crash survivors released

REDDING, Calif. &

Authorities on Sunday finished collecting badly burned remains from the crash site of a firefighting helicopter in the Northern California wilderness. In all, seven men from Southern Oregon died in the accident that claimed nine lives.

Two of the four crash survivors &

both Medford men &

were released from a California hospital late Saturday.

On Saturday, helicopters carrying flag-draped stretchers that bore some of the remains were greeted by an honor guard of firefighters at a nearby airstrip. Accompanied by a fire engine escort, the stretchers were taken to the Shasta County coroner's office in Redding.

Authorities there will probably have to rely on DNA analysis and dental records to identify the bodies, U.S. Forest Service spokesman Tom Kroll said.

Firefighters Michael Brown, 20, and Jonathan Frohreich, 18, both of Medford, were discharged from the University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento on Saturday night. They suffered facial burns and broken bones.

Brown said Saturday that he couldn't remember anything about the crash but felt that he was spared because "God had his hand wrapped around me."

He said he was mourning the loss of friends: "Those guys were brothers to me."

The dead included seven men from Southern Oregon who worked for Greyback Forestry Inc. Victims of the crash are Scott Charlson, 25, of Phoenix; Edrik Gomez, 19, of Ashland; David Steele, 19, of Ashland; Bryan Rich, 29, of Medford; Shawn Blazer, 30, of Medford; Matthew Hammer, 23, of Grants Pass; Steven "Caleb" Renno, 21, of Cave Junction; pilot Roark Schwanenberg, 55, of Lostine; and Forest Service aviation inspector Jim Ramage, 64, from the Redding area.

The helicopter was ferrying 10 firefighters, two pilots and a U.S. Forest Service employee back to base camp Tuesday after crews battled a fire about 215 miles northwest of Sacramento.

The Sikorsky S-61N helicopter had just been refueled when it lifted off from a remote clearing, struck a tree and plummeted into a hillside, according to National Transportation Safety Board officials. The chopper then erupted into flames.

Pilot William Coultas of Oregon has undergone skin grafting for severe burns. He was in critical condition Sunday, said Martha Alcott, a spokeswoman for UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.

A cockpit voice-data recorder recovered from the wreckage Thursday was made by a British company and was being sent to Britain for analysis, NTSB officials said.

The 34-square-mile blaze the firefighters had been battling before their helicopter crashed was 20 percent contained Sunday, fire officials said.

Share This Story