Fatal shooting protest leads to City Hall

PORTLAND — Protesters marched on City Hall to deliver a message Wednesday to Portland Mayor Sam Adams, saying they want police reforms in order to avoid another fatal shooting by an officer.

The Rev. LeRoy Haynes, vice president of the Albina Ministerial Alliance, led the protesters from a noon rally on the steps of the city Justice Center to City Hall a block away.

No uniformed police could be seen at any point along the route or inside the building, where Haynes presented Adams a letter as the mayor greeted the crowd of more than 200 people and TV cameras just outside his office.

"Your message is that you want to see real change in the Portland Police Bureau, and that you intend to stick with this issue until you see it," Adams told the crowd, summarizing the letter.

"We know that we continuously need to improve in this area," he added before the crowd broke into a chant of "Fire him!"

The Wednesday rally followed an appearance Tuesday evening in Portland by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who called the Jan. 29 shooting of Aaron Campbell "an execution."

Officer Ron Frashour shot Campbell in the back with a rifle after police were called to his apartment building by the family of his girlfriend who was worried that Campbell was threatening suicide and was distraught over the death that day of his younger brother from heart disease.

Campbell had emerged from the apartment unarmed with his hands on his head and was shot with beanbag rounds before he began to run away. Frashour told investigators he believed Campbell was reaching for a gun.

A Multnomah County grand jury ruled the deadly use of force fell within guidelines but took the unusual step of writing a letter to District Attorney Michael Schrunk sharply criticizing police for the way they handled the incident.

The rally began with a protest against Frashour returning to duty on Wednesday, although he was serving with a neighborhood response team and was not assigned to take any emergency calls.

Share This Story