With more fires cropping up in Southern Oregon and Northern California, the smoke may be here for a while longer. Southern Oregon University is offering a respite for community members in several locations around campus, according to a press release, including use of the new indoor track.
All buildings are air-conditioned and offer free Wi-Fi.
These are the rooms and the hours they are open for public use:
• Stevenson Union — From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday–Friday, 1118 Siskiyou Blvd.
• Dankook — SU Room 314 on the third level of Stevenson Union, this space features soft chairs and couches.
• Game Room — SU Room 330 on the third level of Stevenson Union, this space features soft furniture, video gaming, puzzles and board games.
• Elmo’s Seating — On Stevenson Union’s main floor. Elmo’s Dining is closed, but Einstein’s Bagels and Coffee is open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. This space features round tables, booths, and small conversation tables. There is one TV.
• Diversions — On the basement level of Stevenson Union, this space features tables, chairs, soft furniture and cable TV. Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only.
• Hannon Library is open during the summer from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday; and 1 to 9 p.m. Sunday. It is closed on Saturdays.
• The Student Recreation Center has an elevated indoor walking/running track that will be available to the public from 6 to 8 p.m. daily, Sunday through Thursday.
“We’re lucky enough to be located in what we consider in many ways to be Oregon’s most attractive region,” SOU President Linda Schott said. “This is an opportunity for us to pay back this special community. Many of our students are gone for the summer, and we have several buildings where we are happy to welcome the public for various activities.”
The use of these facilities is free to the public. Campus parking regulations still apply in the summer.
“We are very serious about helping all members of our campus community protect their health,” Schott said.