Nearly 10 years after Jacksonville's Art Amble withered away, local artists plan to resurrect the monthly event.
The Art Amble, coordinated by Art Presence, an organization that aims to increase art exposure in the area, will be from 5 to 7 p.m. the fourth Friday of the month from May to October, beginning Friday, May 27.
About 27 businesses in downtown Jacksonville will be open for the event, and more than half will display works by members of Art Presence. Participating businesses are designated by gold pennants. In addition to art, several businesses also will offer finger foods and wine tastings.
Anne Brooke, coordinator of Art Presence, says she hopes that support from businesses, a close-knit community of artists and better organization and publicity will make the event succeed this time around.
"My goal is to have it be a little Taos (N.M.)," she says. "We have so many great artists in this area, and our businesses need the support."
Participating artists will produce new works for each consecutive Art Amble and may rotate venues, says Brooke.
Here's a list of exhibits displayed in Jacksonville for the Art Amble:
- Watercolor paintings by Betty Barss and Charlotte Peterson will be at The Jacksonville Inn, 175 E. California St.
- Watercolor and pastel paintings by Steve and Sue Bennett will be at their Oregon Street Gallery, 240 S. Oregon St.
- Watercolor paintings by Anne Brooke will be at Bella Union, 170 W. California St.
- Mixed-media paintings by Katy Cauker and acrylic paintings by Jeff Levin will be at MacLevin's Whole Foods Deli and Gallery, 150 W. California St.
- Printmaking by Peter Coons, photography by Alice LaMoree and stained-glass work by Jannie Ledard will be at LodeStar Bar, 105 W. California St.
- Encaustic by Dianne Jean Erickson will be at Corks Wine Bar and Jacksonville Barn Co., 150 S. Oregon St.
- Acrylic paintings by Alx Fox and oil paintings by Bill Stanton will be at Terra Firma, 135 W. California St.
- Watercolor paintings by Elaine Frenett will be at Apple Cellar Bakery, 150 S. Oregon St.
- Metal art by Cheryl Garcia will be at South Stage Cellars, 125 S. Third St.
- Oil paintings by Katharine Gracey will be at Jacksonville Mercantile, 120 E. California St.
- Photography by Ron Moore and acrylic and oil paintings by Danna Tartaglia will be at Carefree Buffalo, 130 W. California St.
- Multimedia work by Marilyn Hurst will be at The Blue Door, 155 N. Third St.
- Acrylic paintings by Mae Wygant will be at The GoodBean Co., 165 S. Oregon St.
- Mixed-media paintings by Elaine Witteveen will be at her gallery, 305 N. Oregon St.
- Oil paintings by Gabriel Lipper will be at Elan Gallery, 245 W. Main St.
- Jewelry by Diane Robins will be at The Creator's Gallery, 145 N. Fifth St.
- Assemblages by Marjorie Mercer will be at Jacksonville Co., 155 W. California St.
Regional artists interested in becoming Art Presence members and displaying their work at the monthly events can contact Brooke at 541-941-7057.